11 March, 2012

Drawing on Experience


I have been painting so much lately that I have forgotten to take time for drawing. I love to draw and have far too many pencils for my own good (though I haven't bought any for a long time).
I normally use my own photographs to both paint and draw from but I fell in love with a picture I saw several years ago on the BBC News website of masks revellers from the Winter Carnival in Venice, Italy. The wide variety of tones of orange was a challenge I couldn't resist. Except that I did until now when I came across the photograph on my computer.
I apologise for not being able to give proper credit to the photographer. I couldn't see a credit on the BBC website and though I found some pictures from the same period I did not see that exact picture. But the photographer may have been Umberto Sartory, or Alessio Bortot, or Patrizia Bortot.
I'm having fun trying to render this beautiful photograph.

4 comments:

  1. And, from someone sitting next to you on occasion while you work on that drawing, I have to say you are doing an exceptional job. I do not know from where you draw such necessary patience! Its remarkable, as is the fact that one would not be able to distinguish the drawing from the photo when the drawing is complete. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheryl. I am not a patient person in general but with this kind of detailed drawing I enter, what a drawing teacher called, the zone. I find working on these drawings a kind of meditation. Unlike painting which you often have to commit to without stopping, at times, working with a pencil allows me to work at a slow pace and it is very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to see your drawing in progress. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun to see it progress right in front of me.

    ReplyDelete