14 December, 2010

'Tis the Season: Sawdust Winter Fantasy


My unrelenting search for decorations and lights continues unabated.
Today we’re in Laguna Beach at the Sawdust Winter Fantasy. This is the Christmas version of the summer arts festival, which runs for two months in July and August. The winter show is held over four weekends in November and December.
Most booth were selling crafts such as glassware, jewellery rather than fine art (such as painting) which is more prevalent in the summer.


Just beyond the entrance was the Town Square, which had several fairy tale-style buildings (one housing father Christmas).





This reminds me of the palette of some of my paintings.



I went a little crazy with the photographs but believe me this is the pared down version.







I don’t have any photographs of the booths because it isn’t kosher to take pictures of other people’s art without their permission and/or to put those pictures online (because it violates their copyright).


There were also several Christmas trees decorated by local organizations.

This was my favourite because of the the colours scheme used.



I love the idea of topping a tree with an umbrella. Since it was lightly raining as we arrived, the brolly was both wise and creative.



Snow in Southern California? How unusual. But then around Christmas anything is possible.

2 comments:

  1. This was only my second visit and there wasn't anything like the Town Square that time. I found the whole fairy tale area quite charming.

    ReplyDelete