21 December, 2010

'Tis the Season: Dana Point Boat Parade



I’m not really a parade person but I do love the Dana Point Boat Parade in the Dana Point Harbour. It involves Christmas decorations and lights – it just happens that the decorated and lighted objects move past me as I look at them rather than the other way around.


I really missed seeing it after we moved away so I was very excited when we moved back before last year’s parade. However, the weather was awful. It was pouring with rain and very windy.
I tried sitting in the car but I couldn’t see anything. So I stood outside getting soaking wet and freezing cold as I watched every single decorated and lighted boat go by (luckily there weren’t that many due to the inclement weather).


This year it was dry, not too cold and there were a lot of boats. The boats travel in a line along the channel that leads into the ocean round to the channel where the boat are moored. Then they do it again. People line up at vantage points along both channels waving and cheering.


 Some owners take a lot of trouble to decorate creatively. One boat had a live band playing onboard although one of the biggest cheers went to the plucky kayakers who were paddling under their own steam with a six-foot high string of lights protruding from the kayak. I didn’t get a good picture as the lights were waving around too much with the kayak looking like it was going to capsize at any minute.




But I don’t like parades. Just so you know.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun. Do they have a similar parade at Balboa Island?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they do. I haven't seen it though. maybe next time.
    The pictures don't tell the whole story as the boats have music playing as well.

    ReplyDelete