05 March, 2014

Seeds of Change

It has been a long time (a very long time) since I have posted about my garden. That is because I haven't been able to work in it after my accident. It is looking a little neglected because of that, plus some of the plants were resting over the winter (despite the fact that we had a very mild winter).

But recently hubby and I went out in the garden to get it ready for spring. Actually I mostly stood around while hubby did all the work. 
Firstly, he dug over the vegetable patch ready for planting. Normally we plant tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, and peas. This year we made some very small changes.


We love fresh tomatoes so we planted two plants as normal.


We planted peas and beans along the back wall. Except for the tomatoes, we always sow seeds as it is less expensive and is fun to see them grow and develop.



We decided against carrots this year as we don't feel that the amount of crop we get is worth the time it takes for them to develop. We decided to grow kale in its place.


Lettuce is another must.


I also decided to plant some lettuce in the herb area to replace some of the strawberries I had planted there last year which did not work out.


Meanwhile, we also put in some California poppies in my flower garden area. Last summer I had some bare patches in the front. The year before the whole area was covered in flowers so I'm not sure why I got bare areas. I'm hoping that adding the poppies will fill in any gaps in future years. Plus they come up earlier than the black-eyed susans and coneflowers. Plus they are so pretty.


When we were visiting a nearby nursery a year ago, we met a lady outside who said she had some excess orchid plants that she wanted to give away. Those plants looked really tatty so I didn't want any of them but hubby said we'd take three or four of them. For a year they really didn't do anything (except stay alive) and still looked tatty.
Then...


I'm not a lover of orchids but these really add to the garden.


The calla lilies are coming out.


We still have two poinsettias left over from Christmas. I loved the look of the rain drops on the leaves.








No comments:

Post a Comment