29 March, 2013

The High Life

Ever since we put in our garden two years ago I have wanted to add a herb garden. Unfortunately the space was taken up by wood which we have gradually been using up by having bonfires at the beach. After finally clearing enough room for it we then had to work out how to do it.
We knew it had to be a high-rise herb garden because the space available was limited. Herbs need full sun as much as possible and we couldn't block the vegetable garden to the left (out of sight).

As an IKEA fan I looked at their catalogue and found these steel shelves ($14.99 each) which were and are perfect for the task. Most of the pots (and herbs) come from two local nurseries. The grey and white pots on the bottom shelves are old paint buckets which have been cut down and with holes drilled in the bottom. We decided not to use trays underneath the pots as they will overflow anyway when it rains.

The configuration we used allows maximum sun exposure and hides the rubbish bin.


I chose the particular herbs I like to use, plus strawberries which are so much better from your own garden.
Left-hand shelves: top shelf: Basil; second shelf: Curly Parsley, empty pot awaiting French Tarragon; third shelf: French, English, and Creeping Thyme;
bottom shelf: Strawberries.
Right-hand shelves: top shelf: Rosemary (l) and Spearmint (r); second shelf: Basil seeds; third shelf: Mint (l) and Chocolate Mint (r); bottom shelf: Strawberries.


I'm looking forward to using my own freshly grown herbs again.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I still have not been to IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love IKEA. They have such good ideas as they are geared to providing stylish furniture and living spaces at a reasonable cost. Since they are from Europe where the houses and apartments tend to be much smaller, they have really good options for making more fit in a smaller space without looking over crowded. They have several mock-ups of small living spaces which I like to walk through. I'm especially keen on the 693 sq.ft space. It feels quite roomy. Of course I'd have no space for all my art stuff!

    ReplyDelete