03 June, 2013

On a Mission

After not visiting the Mission at San Juan Capistrano for over a decade, I have now been there three times in the last few weeks. The latest visit was to paint as part of a plein air class that I was taking.

Mission San Juan Capistrano is the seventh of 21 Missions that were founded in California in the 18th and 19th centuries. Read about the history of the Mission here

Spring is a perfect time to visit with all of the flowers in bloom.



This is a fountain just by the entrance.



There are roses and other flowers everywhere.


A view of the Church that was destroyed in an earthquake.


A model of the Church



Mission bells.


Statue of Father Serra (the Mission's founder) and an Indian boy.


More views of the Church.



There's a reason the soil here was used as a building material, water doesn't easily penetrate!


2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful mission. I went to some missions when I lived in CA as a kid. Not sure if this was one I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best scenes are yet to come. I have only been to this one and the one in Carmel. I would like to visit more of them.

    ReplyDelete