17 June, 2013

Changes

After painting in my studio for two years now, I have been able to fully realise some of the shortcomings of the arrangement of furniture in my easel area. As my inability to step back far enough from my work to look at it properly got more annoying I decided it was time for a change.

Here is how it looked before the change.


As you can see, when I stepped back from the easel I hit my drawing table.



I could step back further if I changed the angle of the easel. However, I would have to move the easel back to start painting again (because that angle didn't provide the right light for painting) so it wasn't a good solution. Although my drawing table was in the way, I did not want to take it out of the room. Even though I haven't been using it as a drawing table lately, I still wanted it there.

After discussing the issue with hubby, this is what we came up with.


We changed the position of the drawing table and that of my easel and taboret. I can still put my drawing table up quickly to use it for drawing but most of the time it is placed vertically to give me the room to step back from the easel sufficiently.
I also moved my taller still life stand next to the taboret. It used to be next to a desk, barely seen in the bottom left-hand corner, but it blacked some light to the desk and ended up being a flat surface for papers, books and other stuff. It is still easily accessible in its new place and I now have a greater feeling of space in the studio.

The changes did cause some new problems, so there were compromises, but my highest priorities were met and that is the most important thing.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I can live with a room for years and then suddenly a much better arrangement comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Once Upon. Now I've changed it I think, why didn't I do this in the beginning? But I had not used the room and didn't yet know how I was going to operate in there.

    ReplyDelete