28 July, 2011

Garden Update ~ July 2011

I've mentioned in a previous post that our newly-planted garden was a bit slow to get going due to the inconsistent weather we had in So Cal this spring. But the brilliant summer weather we're having has spurred the plants on to show us they can actually grow, though some have their hearts in it more than others!


The biggest change is in the vegetable plot (top) and the flower garden.


The peas have come and gone but the tomatoes are finally fruiting at the rate of more than one tomato a month, while the carrots and lettuce have finally decided to grow beyond half an inch high. Thanks you chaps.


After sowing two lots of seeds we went down to the nursery and bought some Black-eyed Susan plants and some daisy-like flowers. Well the seeds got the message and started growing. This is my English-style garden area.


Here is the tropical area of the garden after it was planted in March this year.


This is the same area today. Sorry I didn't take it at the exact angle but you can see some changes. The Plumeria (foreground) has several leaves and a flower stalk on it (though the flowers are not, at present, surviving long enough to bloom). Ironically the Hibiscus isn't blooming at the moment but has otherwise done so consistently from the first week. Comparing the two photos I can see the Bird of Paradise (behind the Hibiscus) has actually done better than we thought but not much.




The best area for growth has been this section.





The Black Taro and the inedible Banana plant with their beautiful leaves are my particular favourites. It's exciting to look back and see the changes and the progress in the last four months.

4 comments:

  1. It's a very pretty garden and you have a nice sitting area from which to enjoy it. You'd be embarrassed for me if I showed you our garden. I can't even call it a garden. It's a mound of dirt with 3 pathetic looking plants that managed to survive the winter and are patiently waiting for us to find time to bring them some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not cared for the garden as much as I would like. I didn't plant more carrots and i don't weed as much as I should. By the time the garden went in hubby and I were so exhausted we just wanted to rest and do other things than home improvements. Gardening takes time and I know you don't have much spare at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garden looks beautiful! You two are amazing housekeepers and landscapers. I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes a lot of discussion, a lot of shopping and work, and more money than we'd like to spend. :-)

    ReplyDelete