17 January, 2011

The Art of Recycling

Recently I entered a competition run by art supply company Jerry’s Artarama. Today I found out that I was one of the winners!

The instructions were to make a piece of art from a 4”x6” card included in the 2010 Holiday Catalogue (or something similar that would normally be discarded).
This is what I came up with.





























This is very different from the two-dimensional art I usually produce. See here.

This piece represents the benefits of recycling. You put your unwanted items into the recycling bin and something beautiful or useful (as represented by the flowers on the left) is made from them.


After making an opening in the middle, I covered the card with scraps from catalogues and flyers and glued a piece of white foam core underneath.
I made up two small books of papers to simulate magazines and cut small slits in the foam core to hold the ‘magazines’, securing them with glue.
Then I attached several small images to a piece of white wire and stuck it into the foam core. I made the flowers from cardboard and catalogue pages.

My prize is a gift card from Jerry’s and an afternoon of fun creating my entry.

4 comments: