13 March, 2013

Drawn To It

I have been having some problems finding enough time to paint because other aspects of my life have been getting in the way. When I started to paint I found myself drawing much less. It wasn't through any conscious decision, it just happened.

Well over the past few months I have fallen in love with drawing again drawing every spare minute I can. I now have several sketch books, as well as scraps of paper, piled up in my art studio with different projects in them all on the go.



One of my favourite books to draw in at the moment is a book I bought at a library sale. I've seen this idea several places including here and wanted to try it for myself.
Initially, I wanted to use this a vehicle for trying new things and worrying less about the outcome. But I like these results so much I don't want to 'spoil' my book with reject drawings. I think I am better doing my experiments on single sheets that I can save or throw away. Even so, drawing with a ballpoint pen is quite daring for me so there is some element of risk involved. 




These are pen drawings of paintings by one of my favourite artists that I did on loose sheets which I stuck in my art journal. I like to draw paintings as it is difficult at times to replicate paint marks using a pen or pencil.

Most of my art journals are simple composition books with squared paper. They are a consistent size and, as a result, fit better on the shelf. 


Another recent project is drawing self-portraits as an assignment for an online class I am taking. This was drawn in pencil first  before going over the lines with brown ink. This was drawn on some very basic sketching paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment