03 June, 2012

A Royal Celebration

I thought it fitting that my first post-Britain trip posting should be on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee otherwise known as the celebration of Queen Elizabeth II's 60 years on the throne. The reason being is that it is the Jubilee weekend as I write.
Although I am not there in person to participate in the festivities this weekend, I was able to enjoy the decorations and see some events which took place previously.


Everywhere I went in England the shops were awash in red, white, and blue bunting and Union flags.




This display from the Yorkshire Soap Co in Hebden Bridge was one of my favourites as it was both witty and beautifully creative (they do the most wonderful soaps as well).




This is a sweet (candy) shop in Haworth.


Other funny, original window displays were found at Selfridges in London's Oxford Street.



This is of a Pearly King and Queen celebrating great British food with a meal.


An old three-wheel Reliant Robin car decked out in red, white, and blue.


Normally Corgi's (the Queen's favourite dog) aren't allowed to drive but this is a special occasion.


You have to be British or very familiar with its culture to understand the word play here.





British workmen love their cuppa as the rest of us Brits know well.




Bunting wasn't just confined to shop windows as this shot from Haworth in Yorkshire shows.


Even the Tube in London got into the Jubilee spirit.



Congratulations Ma'am on 60 years on the throne in service to your country. Long may you reign.

6 comments:

  1. Very lovely photos and patriotic spirit! Love all the bunting! God Save the Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I watched four (4) hours of recorded interviews of the Royals and the festivities and the huge concert for the Royals on ABC. WOW!

      I also saw several "breaking news SPECIAL REPORTS" showing the activities live! I have to say, there is NOTHING like that ever here in this country. Perhaps a Presidential inauguration or a Superbowl "football" game is as close as we can get. There was NO comparison--not even a close call. The flyovers; the "soldiers" in uniform; the colors, music, flags, THE LOVING CROWDS" worshipping the Queen!! And the security was so well done. I had believed the Royal Wedding was wonderful to watch. But this was far more grand and universal.

      The English KNOW how to party and to throw a national (actually, its international!) PARTY without any incidents. They picked the correct place for the summer Olympics.

      Several times during my viewing, I was so overcome by emotion from the unity and all the obvious love of the British people, I was moved to tears. When it came to celebrating the world's greatest woman ever, everyone was united. That was really something to see and "experience" even by watching a TV or computer screen.

      I would be super PROUD if I were British and she were MY Queen and I really understand better now what you "testified" to Sunday. So sad Prince Philip (sp?) fell ill and missed a lot, but the news is he will be home in time for his 91st birthday!! But your Queen handled herself with such class and dignity, as she always does. I'm fascinated with the Royals. (I wish people in this country could find some way to come together and unite without a tragic incident in NYC in Sept. of 2001. That's the last unity I can recall. So sad.)

      I would love to travel to the UK again!!

      Delete
  3. In England we do pride ourselves on our ability to put on a great party and when it is in honour of the Queen and also bound up in being British, it can't help but be wonderful. I shed some tears too. The emotion was very strong at times.
    I hope Prince Philip will be fully well soon. I'm surprised he wasn't more sick after the pair of them stood out in the cold on Sunday for over three hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The window displays are fabulous. I'm glad your visit coincided with the jubilee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. It is the only Diamond Jubilee I will see so it was lovely to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete